The multiplayer narrative is set years after the Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War campaign’s story. The campaign itself is a direct sequel to the original Call of Duty: Black Ops.
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War Campaign Screenshots
- Cold War Globetrotting: There is a wide range of locales from around the world from the contested waters of the Black Sea, searing Angola deserts, urban Moscow, and the neon-soaked streets of Miami’s South Beach.
- All-new Modes: New modes such as the 6v6 VIP Escort operations, 12v12 Combined Arms battles, and the 40-player, objective-based Fireteam.
- Fireteam: 10 teams in squads of four face off in large-scale maps that include land, sea, and air vehicles, all while completing various objects. This sandbox-style multiplayer mode allows teams to complete missions as they see fit. The first Fireteam game type is called Dirty Bomb.
- The Fireteam Spawn system lets players respawn in different ways, either by spawning onto a teammate not in combat, parachuting back into the map, or spawning directly into the passenger seat of a teammate’s vehicle.
- Maps will range from the three-lane map design to open combat space to large-scale maps that combine infantry and vehicular combat.
- Tools of the Tradecraft: Black Ops Cold War will have iconic weapons from the 1980s that will cater to Black Ops’ fast and fluid gameplay.
- Create-a-Class has been simplified with a new slog-based loadout system that offers better flexibility for players. There are also four new Wildcards to enhance the customization depth.
- Gunsmith now offers 54 attachments per weapon across 8 attach points on primary weapons. You can now equip up to 8 attachments at once with a certain Wildcard selected.
- In-game weapon stats lets players create their own weapon through unique stats that now show +/- percentage changes in attachment stats.
- Scorestreak System: Scores are no longer lost on death and players can earn score multipliers for stringing together multiple kills in a single life. Objectives will also count towards your score, and each Scorestreak goes on cooldown after use to prevent spamming.
- New vehicles for Land, Sea, and Air such as Snowmobiles, Dirt Bikes, Gunboats, Wakerunners, FAV buggies, attack helicopters, and tanks.
- Perks return with new and fan-favorite options like Spycraft, Gearhead, Ninja, Ghost, Engineer, and more.
- Time-to-kill has been tuned to ensure gun skill is a top skill to have in multiplayer.
- Unlimited spring and auto-regen for more focus on gameplay.
- Sprints will automatically begin with a small burst of speed that settles into normal spring speed. Sliding will also transition to a crouched position to promote fluid movement.
- Mini-map displays non-suppressed fire on the map for all players.
- Zipline from one objective area to another, or rappel up an elevated position.
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War will also support both cross-gen and cross-play so players can party up with teammates across different systems, console generations, and PC. Free post-launch content will add new multiplayer maps and modes, and a Battle Pass system will ensure there will be regular rewards.
As previously announced, Black Ops Cold War’s multiplayer and Warzone will share a “progression journey” that will add inventory items for both titles, and even share post-launch content “from a narrative standpoint, interweaving the themes, locations, weapons, and vehicles of Black Ops Cold War into the Warzone action.”
Next-gen Features and New Multiplayer Systems
- Black Ops Cold War features 4K visuals for next-gen consoles and PC.
- Next-Gen 3D Audio on next-gen platforms and PC that creates a more realistic soundscape.
- Threat Priority System: A new “Threat Priority” audio system dynamically assigns priorities to various sounds during a firefight.
- Directional Ballistics: A new method to integrate “bullet crack” (the sonic boom created by a bullet traveling faster than the speed of sound). This system communicates to players when they are in danger, their distance from an attacker, and the angle of incoming shots.
- Authentic Acoustics: Complete acoustic model provides detailed occlusion and reverb for an authentic sound on all platforms.
- Contour Terrain Tech: New custom terrain lets developers create larger, more immersive play spaces.
- 120Hz support for next-gen consoles.
- Hardware-based raytracing on next-gen consoles, and DirectX raytracing on PC.
- Haptic feedback on PlayStation 5 DualSense controller.
For more, check out IGN’s Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War multiplayer preview.
Matt T.M. Kim is a reporter for IGN.