The latest edition of PlayStation’s State of Play livestream focuses on The Last of Us 2. With less than a month before the sequel’s release, Naughty Dog and Sony are sharing more about the highly-anticipated continuation of Joel and Ellie’s post-apocalyptic saga.
While Naughty Dog has been sharing video updates about various aspects of The Last of Us 2, today’s 20-minute look could reveal even more insight. What’s different in the world of The Last of Us 2? Check below for updates and reveals as they happen when the livestream begins at 1 pm PT/4 pm ET. You can follow along with the livestream below.
The Last of Us Part 2 Locations and Map Details
- The Last of Us Part 2 picks up several years after the events of the first game after they settle in the relatively peaceful settlement in Jackson, Wyoming.
- Ellie is 19 at the start of the sequel.
- The game will cover expansive parts of the world, including real-life locations.
- The game will take place over multiple seasons and climates, from the snow-capped mountains of Jackson to the lush Pacific Northwest.
- Naughty Dog has put great detail into recreating the real cities the maps are based on. Seattle will be another location Ellie visits on her journey.
- Along with jumping, Ellie will be able to use ropes to traverse a more open and expansive map or find hidden secrets.
- Naughty Dog says The Last of Us Part 2 will be some of the biggest the studio’s developers have ever created.
- Horses and boats will also help Ellie traverse the larger maps.
[widget path=”global/article/imagegallery” parameters=”albumSlug=the-last-of-us-part-2-state-of-play-screenshots&captions=true”]
The Last of Us Part 2 Enemies and Factions Explained
- The Washington Liberation Front is an armed group that originally fought to free Seattle from the military. But have become a powerful and deadly faction in Seattle since taking control of the city.
- Another faction Ellie encounters are the Seraphites, or “Scars” a religious group of zealots that specialize in stealth combat and camouflage.
- The Seraphites are the cloaked group seen in the first Last of Us 2 reveal trailer.
- New infected types will be present in the sequel such as Shamblers, a pustule covered infected that explodes when hit.
- Druckmann did not share the most horrifying new infected-type, but a terrifying roar can be heard over a black screen.
- Enemy NPCs are smarter now and can track you from your scent.
[widget path=”global/article/imagegallery” parameters=”albumSlug=every-ign-naughty-dog-game-review&captions=true”]
The Last of Us Part 2 Combat Details
- Ellie’s physical advantages come into play in combat. She’s more agile than enemies and can dodge and counter enemies during fights.
- Because of the large map size, Ellie can use the environment to her advantage or avoid combat instances altogether.
- Allies will sometimes join Ellie during combat encounters and other parts of the game. Ellie can take down enemies with the help of friends, or fight off clickers as a group.
- There will be a skill upgrade and weapons system that lets players create unique fighting styles that cater to their preferences.
- Players can scavenge for parts to customize weapons. These customizations will be visually represented on your weapons. So if you the rifle’s sight, for example, the scope will be added to the rifle.
Last of Us Part 2 Gameplay Demo
- The demo begins with Ellie diving into a lake to avoid detection from enemies before surfacing behind her prey.
- Hotline Miami exists in the world of The Last of Us, apparently.
- Ellie added a silencer to her pistol for stealth kills, but can also take enemy NPCs hostage if she needs cover or protection.
- Like in the first game, Ellie can use various explosives and traps during combat.
- Enemies will attack you while you’re trying to open locked doors.
- The gameplay and cinematics blend seamlessly during the demo. Scripted sequences will occur during gameplay, while at other times gameplay will transition into a cinematic sequence.